Thursday, June 7, 2007

Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood?

Has your day ever felt like a rerun episode of Sesame Street? All morning we ran through things like, "Open....close.....open......close." I just heard Grover in the back of my head. "One of these things is not like the other..." I know that you are running all of the songs in the back of your head, too. I had to finally turn on some grown-up music when I pulled out the, "one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten...(in a whisper) eleven, twelve!"

Oh, Mom. I am so sorry that you had to endure countless hours of things like the "Follow that Bird" soundtrack, Sesame Street, the Little Thinker, and books on tape that did that awful xylophone thing to signal a page turn. How did you not pull your hair out?

Yet, in the midst of the mundane, it is so fun watching my two little ones discover their little worlds. Even when that includes Going on a Bear Hunt for the twentieth time and a countless round of "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes!" it is worth it to watch them learn.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. ~I Thessalonians 5:16-18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's not been one rainy day in 29 years that the song, "It's a rainy day, It's a rainy day, It's raining outside and I can't go out and play, Why do we need the rain, anyway?", hasn't gone through my head. Each time it brings back great memories of your childhoods. While some days seemed long, it now seems like too brief a period I enjoyed with my girls! Love you, Mom

oldmeghale said...

Oh man, me too! I sing that song all the time! Every time I smell Minute Maid Orange Juice, I think of kindergarten when I stayed home with mom in the mornings and watched Sesame Street! Nostalgia... What ever happened to those Little Thinker Tapes, anyway? Our kids probably won't even know what a tape is! Those were so cool. And all the Golden Books... man it was cool to grow up in the 80s and 90s!