Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mom, I'm Sorry for Hiding Things Around the House...

I now realize how much our little scavenger hunts cost. Between Megan hiding Flinstone vitamins everywhere (and I mean everywhere....I am sure someone now owns a used piece of furniture or two that have molding Freds all stuck in it. Did she ever manage to get one down?) to us making a "secret stash" of Hershey's kisses at Grandma's house and everything in between, I now understand how messy these games tend to be.

Jonathan decided somewhere along the course of the weekend to take up the tradition. I discovered this on a day that I had just enought time to get ready and bake a loaf of banana bread before I added two more kids to my madness for the morning. Jonathan has become facinated with the stove. So, instead of putting one of his picnic-style plastic plates where it actually goes, he opted to stash it away in the oven. How unfortunate it is that I didn't check the oven BEFORE I preheated it for the bread.

It seems that the plates are microwave and dishwasher safe, but not "preheat to 350 degrees" safe. When I opened the oven to put in the loaf of bread (you know, so I could have the rare chance to eat a warm breakfast), there greeted me a puddle of now puke-green plastic decorated with strings of plate remnants dangling from both grill shelves. We immediately turned off the oven, but it was too late. Nathan managed to scrape the plastic from the bottom of the oven and clean a grill off (cutting the cooled plastic was a HUGE job). Needless to say, it took most of the day to recover from the hide-and-go-seek game.

I am so sorry that we hid things everywhere. I have learned my lesson. And, in the future, I promise to always check the oven before I turn it on.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. ~Matthew 7:7-8

1 comment:

oldmeghale said...

Ha! I totally forgot about the secret stash of Hershy Kisses! How funny! And hey... not to worry. I didn't discriminate... I am sure there are plenty Pebbles, BamBams, and Wilmas stuck to things too, not just Freds. I probably managed to get one or two down... somehow. Those things really were pretty nasty though. I'm glad to see my nephew taking after me! I always did like that kid!