Friday, March 9, 2007

There is a Season...

I never read the job description to motherhood. I suppose that I should have. I am sure that there is one contained in a thick, maroon-bound book on a shelf somewhere that I could blow the dust off of and read. It would take volumes to contain the entire list of duties performed, expected, and thrust upon mothers. I am sure that I live a much happier existence celebrating my accomplishments as a mother, rather than cataloging the "requirements" that come with the territory.

The little experience I have in motherhood shows me one constant in the field: there are many seasons we in the mommy club survive. I suppose that was God's design, as He claimed the rights to that ingenious idea in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. I always thought that this passage told us that we would traverse through separate seasons, but in the midst of it all I am learning daily that seasons of life are more like an all-you-can-eat buffet rather than a course of a meal. "I'll take a plate of a time to gather stones, with a side of laughter and top it all with a time to be silent."

I hold onto the hope that Ecclesiastes 3:11 gives with, "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." I realize that through the trying times of potty-training, debt-reducing, working, loving, disappointment, and everything in between, God has amazing things to do in my life and amazing places to bring me through that I cannot even imagine. What a call to adventure and treasure-chasing! I suppose in the meantime I will occupy my time with another load of laundry and reading The Big Red Barn another hundred times.

Ecclesiastes 3: 12-13:
12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.

No comments: