Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Live For...Little Moments...Like That

There are really too many little moments in life that I wish I could frame. I wish that I could take a snapshot and quilt them all together. Then I could relay the stories to friends, or I could snuggle up under the memories on the dark and cloudy days of a cold tomorrow. They are so fleeting, too quick to catch on camera. I fear that the picture would miss the essence that makes them so beloved. Instead, I will write them to share with you all. Sit down with a warm cup and enjoy!

Naomi this week has really taken to sharing the world around her with Elliot. As Jonathan goes to school, she relishes the time she does not have to share toys...and her little brother. Earlier this week, she was telling Elliot some of the things we do with our hands. She ended the time saying, "And, you take your hands like this (lifting his hands over his head), and this is how we praise the Lord, this is how we praise the Lord!" In sing-song fashion, she wrote a song on the spot, like we've done a hundred times before, all to teach Elliot how something simple like raising our hands glorifies God. *precious*

A few months ago, Nathan and I ran across some Bibles on sale at a store closing. We held onto them for a "special" occasion. Last night, our children's AWANA program started at church for the year. We sat down as a family after school and relayed stories of our day. I told the kids that we had to get ready for AWANA, and I had a surprise to mark the special occasion. I presented them with their Bibles, especially proud to give them their first edition of the actual Bible (not just the Bible story books they had until now). Jonathan reacted, saying, "OH MOM!!! It's so great! I just can't believe it! I love it so much! *pause* Thank you so much!" You would have thought it was treasured gold, food for the hungry, or water for a thirsty soul. The thing is this: the Scripture says it is all three. Nathan's highlight for the evening was driving the kids home after AWANA and listening to Jonathan learn how to read out loud by reading John 3:16. *precious*

You just cannot snap a picture of these precious moments. But, we write them on our hearts. We share them as our heritage and pass them along through the years. I live for little moments like that!

"My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." Psalms 119:28 NIV

No comments: