Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dear Mom,

I had an amazing experience this week that I wanted to share with you. I like to call it a "glimpse," although others may call it a vision. I saw a scene that broke my heart for so many reasons, but nothing this week brought me more hope.

You see, Mom, I had the opportunity to share with a friend of mine the relationship that Jesus offers to anyone who believes in Him. I bucked the system. I dared to offend someone who had never read a word from a Bible or knew how long it took God to create the universe or even heard that God loved her and created her with a specific purpose in mind.

I really did it for one reason; she deserved to have hope and love in her life. She grew up in a godless world. She lived a dark existence by our standards and has a rough circumstance now. Most would write her off and just expect her to make the most of what she has left. But, it broke my heart to see her pain, to gaze into her hurting heart, and send her on her way because I was afraid that I was going to give her trite answers or that she might turn it down.

So, I did the loving thing. I shared with her that I knew the secret to a healed heart and a hope for tomorrow. I told her that she could change her family tree and roots, giving her kids a chance at something different. I told her not of empty religion and liturgy, but of empty tombs and relationship. And the funniest thing happened....she asked Jesus to come live in her heart.

Thank you. Thank you for sharing Jesus with me, praying for me, loving me, and reminding me that God is always faithful through little times and big times in our life. I am so sorry that I take that for granted too many times. I forget that other people are going to live an eternity without God, an eternity in hell because they don't have families who share that or "evangelism" is unacceptable to share the love of Christ anymore. Thank you for not being afraid to be labeled with words like "proselytize" or "intolerant." Thank you for giving me the gift of eternal life.

Because of that, I realize that the only truth that exists in the world is from God's word. I can always return to that when everything else leaves me empty or unsatisfied. I am glad to say that you can stand before Jesus one day with a heritage of people who will live in eternity with us because you realized that trusting in God is much more simple than some people make it. You were a part of the body of Christ, and you were unselfish with the treasure God entrusted to you.

Please know that I intend to be faithful with the gift that I have. Know that I pass it on as often as I can. I am forever grateful that I get to invest in other people and give them what I have always known....Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so.

With Love, Your Daughter Kendra

"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." John 17:3

No comments: